Stat counter


View My Stats

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Travelogue, with quirks

OK, so this is not your usual travelogue, with the usual tourist shots (all right, one exception - the snake charmer). They are shots from our trip to India again. The first is about as typical a shot from the streets of Old Delhi as you can get, it's just very atmospheric. The second shot is from the Raj Ghat, where you can see the stone slab, where Ghandi, Nehru, Indira Ghandi and other dignitaries' bodies were cremated, the place is somewhat eerie, somewhat awe-inspiring. The third and fourth are street scenes in New Delhi, just typical, ordinary, every-day kind of scenes. The fifth and sixth are symbolic of the quiet, peaceful scenes that are hidden within the chaos of the city. The snake charmer, well, what can you really say, other than you won't see him anywhere else. And the last is one that I particularly like - just an ordinary day, in the lives of ordinary people.

6 comments:

  1. I think this is the best part of a trip, to see how people live. I grow a bit tired of famous clichés, the beauty of India is there in the busy streets of the 1st shot, the daily life of the last one street, the peace of the water from the fountain and the serenity in the birds flying. Every time it's like travelling and feeling the atmosphere of the places you've been.
    Thanks Drachma for offering us this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I prefer the snapshots showing life as is to eloborate artistic and consequently somewhat artificial photos. The snake charmer is a killer, and I particularly like the last one -- it has a very painterly feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, my wife and I were just talking about the tacky tourist photos that a person usually sees. Such as, a picture of a "gladiator" outside the Coliseum in Rome, complete with plastic helmet and shield.

    No thanks! I prefer the shots like the ones above that reflect everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your feedback, folk. It is always appreciated. And SJCT, I, too, am leary of the usual tourist type photos, so I really didn't know if I should include the snake charmer, but I couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel so at home with these, and to think its been captured through the lens of an American friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, I think that's because I'm only sort of an American, and very cosmopolitan. :)

    ReplyDelete