Stat counter


View My Stats

Friday, July 8, 2011

Sometimes, it's the little things


Often, after a trip, when looking through photos taken, there are certain ones that stick in my my mind, not because of their artistic merit, per se, but because there's something little about them which makes them speak to me. These are examples of such pictures. Now the first one is expressive in ways that are hard to explain, but the loneliness of the fishing boat out at sea, in the evening just speak to me of that quiet Alaska. The second one is of an orchid plant in Costa Rica, and the whole photograph is of an area no bigger than my thumb, really amazing. The third picture is of one of the forgotten animals of the rainforest, just some old lizard among the branches. The next one is of our guide, pointing out to one fascinated youngster the little suckers, by which the sea star moves about. And the last is of my granddaughter, just beaming aboard the ship, getting to play pirate. It's just the little things.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the loneliness of a boat. I have a photo of a door in a wall and something about it makes it feel so isolated, so lonely, and I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one with the boat is a perfect metaphor of man's insignificance against the grandeur of Nature (puts you in mind of Hemingway's The Old Man And the Sea). I love unusual flowers, I'm forever seeking them out myself, and this lizard is so cute. And you have a lovely granddaughter.
    All big things are made up of little things.

    ReplyDelete